Sunday, November 17, 2013

Some Days The Words Just Sing

Some days the words just sing and their melody carries across the page.
The past two days were like that, though they each played different tunes. 


On Friday I wrote 4,000 words - which is the most I've done yet in a day. It wasn't a speedy 4k, truth be told, it took me most of the day to write them. By the end of the evening my eyes felt as though they were two, swollen orbs and my brain was on standby, but I felt great!

Yesterday I went to a local write-in. For those of you unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, write-ins provide a chance to meet some of the fellow writers in your area and perhaps get some advice on a sticky story point, character names, and to participate fun challenges meant to keep your creative energy flowing and boost your word count.  My local group is small: 3-4 of us show up. We like to challenged each other to 'word wars'. Yesterdays' wars were 'first to 500' challenges. I fell a little short each time, but not by much, so that even with noshing and socializing I was able to write 1,200 words I felt pretty good about by the end of our 2 hours together.

I knocked out another 1,300 after I got home. I hit 30,000 words! Overall, a very successful day.

For a brief time earlier today I felt a little worried that I still had 20k to write. I know how much of the story I've written, and was feeling a little daunted about stretching out what I have left to 20k. I was sitting there staring at my stats thinking that I'd like to aim for 2k minimum a day. Two thousand, for ten days - now that feels doable. I had forgotten the 'break things down into manageable chunks' rule. Panic averted.

Now I'm back to tackle the next 1,200 words of my story...or more. Things are about to get just a little bit worse for my MC and his friend. But, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you decided to take charge of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment