Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It's Alive!


So one of the cool things about writing is that sometimes you’re going along minding your own business, when one of your characters suddenly does something you didn’t expect.

Yesterday, my MC’s former nemisis turned best friend, informed me that she does Jujitsu - with her mom. Thanks for letting me know…

Three days ago her good for nothing father told me that he was taking a job in another state - which was three days sooner than he told his own daughter. He waited until the day before he left to let her know. Scum bag.

And...turns out the the social worker who rents the downstairs apartment, not only wants to send my MC to foster care, but has it in for the cat too! She was sneaky about it. There I was typing about her having a lovely cuppa with MC’s aunt, when she surreptitiously kicked the cat under the table - and then lied about it. I thought I knew this woman!

I don’t know where my characters get these ideas. They didn’t let me know about them back in September/October when I was plotting out their lives, but what’s an author to do?

This is one of the fun parts of writing, discovering your characters’ backstories, their flaws, their secret talents. Sometimes your creative nureons fire and your story travels down a road not just less travelled, but that you didn’t even know existed. 

Some people feel that stories are fixed things, static. But we know that stories are fluid, sparking not only the imagination of the readers, but the author’s as well.

I just hope my characters finish filling me in on their lives before I complete the book. 

11 days and 15k to go. So many paths yet to be explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment